We planned to travel the Wendover and Aylesbury Arms which we haven't done for some years. However, we were also committed to organising a walk for our Milton Keynes based walking group. The walks are on the first Tuesday of every month. With that in mind when we arrived at Marsworth on Sunday we decided not to go right up the flight to explore the Wendover Arm but moor up alongside Startops reservoir to make a convenient base to explore the Tring Reservoirs. We normally find these moorings busy but at this time of the year they were empty. We moored up in a prime position close to the Bluebells Cafe. Although very few boats were moving, being Sunday lots of families were walking and cycling. Anglers and birdwatchers were also out in force.

Marsworth Mooring near Startops

We stayed there for Monday, reconnoitering the route of our walk. The weather on Monday was fine and sunny and we manged to plan a great route, down the Marsworth flight, along the Aylesbury to Wilstone and then uphill past the Wilstone Reservoir and back down the Wendover Arm to the Grand Junction Arms at Bulbourne. We had great lunch which bode well as this was the lunch stop for the next days walking group. At six miles our route was a good morning's walk and the views from the Wendover Arm across the valley were great. We managed to see Red Kite, Little Egret and lots of wildfowl.
Delightful house near Lock 42

Maggie testing the Outdoor Gym at Wilstone

Golden Clematis at Wilstone

Last night there was a glorious sunset over the reservoirs which pointed to us having good weather today.

Sunset over Startops Reservoir

The weather turned out to be good although it was a little cloudy in the afternoon. So after our six-mile walk on Monday, essentially a rehearsal, today we had the walking group proper and we walked the route again this morning with lunch at the Grand Junction Arms. All worked out well with the day starting with the group having coffee and cakes on-board Albert and finishing at the pub.

This afternoon we had to turn Albert around in preparation for going down the Aylesbury Arm. We went up the six locks to Bulbourne Junction, turned in the Wendover Arm and then came back down the flight to moor up at exactly the same spot as earlier (just two and half hours later). It was still quiet with no boats on the move.

Quite an energetic two days with twelve miles of walks and twelve locks. Tomorrow narrow locks on the Aylesbury Arm.