Back to Yardley Gobion

Yesterday we moved Albert from High House Wharf, where she was having some renovation of the bow decorations, to our home base - Kingfisher marina. It was a typical autumn day, chilly but occasionally pleasant in the sunshine. I took Albert down to Yardley Gobion with my friends Alex Kidd & Roy Healey since both had expressed a wish to travel through Blisworth Tunnel. Alex took over the steering for some of the trip and after some meandering managed to control Albert well, although I must admit to not letting him stay at the tiller for the tunnel. Just as well since we passed a boat just after we entered the tunnel and another about half-way through.

Just before the tunnel Alex and I noticed a strange sight - the water near Candle Bridge at Blisworth was very green. To both our eyes it appeared to have been coloured by fluorescein which is often used to trace water leaks. It could be that a pipe draining into the canal was being investigated or perhaps a leak from the canal into a culvert was being traced. Either way it was unusual to say the least. The dyed stretch was, however, only about 20 metres long.

Green Union Canal (geddit?)

 The tunnel transit was straightforward, and not too wet, but when we reached Stoke Bruerne the weather was decidedly dull and cold but we got a cheery wave from the Blacksmith Bob Nightingale as we left the tunnel. The first thing that struck me was that there were no boats moored up on the visitor moorings. None, that is, except a lone boat moored up at the only place where mooring really should not occur - opposite the winding hole! I wonder if the plonker was put off by all the signage on the visitor moorings which  threatens fines for overstaying and decided that the winding hole, which had signs just saying "no mooring", was a safer bet. Or perhaps he doesn't just understand the first thing about boating!

Plonker moored right opposite the winding hole at Stoke Bruerne

And yes there were yards and yards of empty moorings from the tunnel portal to the museum!

We broke for lunch at The Boat and I had a delicious beef stew and dumplings with a pint of Banks. What could be better on a chilly autumn lunch time.

Mike Partridge's Jubilee now converted with a full-length cabin.

After lunch, with fading light we made it down to Yardley Gobion. We moored up on our new mooring, having vacated the old one when we left for Stone 6 months ago. I noticed that NB Tacet has arrived on the on-line moorings - it appears that it has new owners Clinton and Sharon. I look forward to meeting them - perhaps at the annual marina fireworks and bonfire. I wonder if they will take up blogging like the old owners?